Before starting any concept work I put together a mind map of ideas. I jotted down any points I felt were necessary for creating an interesting character.
These were some of the points I felt had the most value:
- Is this character grounded in reality? (Is proper anatomy reference used?)
- What is this characters race? (Is this a human or inhuman character and how does that affect it’s appearance?)
- What does the character do? (Do they have an interesting job or backstory?)
- Is this character a friend or a foe?
- Who does this character appeal to? (children, adults, both?)
All of these things have an impact on the appearance of the character and I will be keeping them in mind during the creation process. By doing this I am reminding myself to critique my work and gradually develop an interesting character.